* Put a bunch of olive oil in a skillet on medium low
* Cut tofu into chunks (I use soft because that's the only kind I can buy here)
* Toss into pan, add black pepper
* Cut the tofu further using a spatula until they're really small
* Stir every so often until they're little slightly-crunchy nuggets, probably about 10 minutes. Feel free to wander away for a bit, they're not going anywhere. Add more black pepper when you feel like it. Reflect upon your heavy use of a spice that wars have been fought over. It's done when all of the sides of the chunks are a golden brown color.
I intentionally keep it bland because the sandwich is really just an excuse to eat an avocado. Not that anyone needs an excuse, but you know what I mean.