For Those of You Keeping Track - An Update →
[More:]Well, today we went for the latest scan results to Mr. V's oncologist in Philly. First of all, on his last visit, they never notified us that they changed offices and were now in a completely different building. So this time we showed up at the new offices - only to find that we were expected to be in yet another set of offices, a block away. Back in the hospital. So after trying to figure out which way to go in Philly (so many buildings are a part of Thomas Jefferson Univ. Hosp. that they cover several blocks). Once finally there, we only waited a half hour in the waiting room before being shown to an examination room. But we were in there for over an hour.
Then a nurse comes in an asks Mr. V if he'd brought the films with him. The same films that were supposed to have been sent a week prior. No wonder Mr. V's blood pressure was up. She called again and found them, thank goodness.
Finally the oncologist comes in. Now, Mr. V had his last scans at the end of April. During the last visit, we were told that they saw "things" in his liver and lung. So the doctor had his radiologist re-read the films (the films were done and read closer to home). After a very tense weekend, the doctor called to say that what they saw was just blood vessels. Apparantly not.
Today we were told that Mr. V had three lesions in his liver - one which hasn't changed, and two that were there on the last scan but are now gone. We were also told that he had three lesions on his right lung - one hasn't grown; one is new to make four; one has increased from 4 to 7 mm; and another has increased from 3 to 4mm. So he isn't clear, as we'd been led to believe from the last visit. He's not sure how to react; I'm mad that they made it sound okey-dokey last time. It's not devestating news, since some did not grow and two disappeared, but it's quite disturbing nonetheless.
We will continue with the 37.5mg for now - the next set of scans are to be done in November. If things stay "good", he'll stay on that dosage. If things get worse, he'll either go back on the 50mg, or possibly try another drug.
I know we've all said it before, but I'll say it again. Cancer Fucking Sucks.