My back is fucking KILLING me and I need to get some serious treatment ASAP. NOT NORMAL.
On a happier note, a friend at work who is a super-duper manager type got me on an ealier shift today (so I can go to the London meetup and meet jonathanstrange!) and tomorrow (so I can go to his [the manager's] house and make pizza for him and his wife!) and this makes me happy.
Bonus: Please oh please Lord let that nice lady who looked at the flat yesterday decide to buy it and please hurry up with the visa process thank you amen.
*) Vacation starts tomorrow! I have the attention span of a hummingbird on a Red Bull binge. So menatally checked out already.
**) Two and a half hour layover in ATL tomorrow = lunch & beers with BoPo, for which I'm supremely stoked.
***) meeting my sister's new beau tomorrow evening, which is going to be awkward on about 88 different levels, none of which I'll get in to here. $20 says I spend more time getting to know his dog than I do him.
****) First semester back at school since 2001 was a great success. 4.0 while working a 45 hour week! Feels very good to have the first leg of this (very) long race behind me.
1) I am healing up nicely from having my gall bladder removed last Thursday. It's been a quick week! Thanks for all the kind thoughts/word from you folks, by the way. Walking back from dropping the girls off at school this morning, I noticed that I am starting to get close to my regular pace of walking. This IS GOOD.
2) Going to have lunch with a friend who's having a rough time these days. I feel for the kid.
3) I can't recall where I stumbled on the name The Tallest Man on Earth, but it was some online friend. I am currently LOVING his new record, and jealous of that voice and guitar ability. I think this guy's got it. Here's the lead off track from his latest record, live (it starts off a little wonky, but give him a minute. The vocals are so good!) and here's a decent cover of Jackson Browne's "These Days" that I have to admit beats Westerberg's, and I have a hard time admitting that!
1. Finals weeks is upon us but all I have to do is finish up a 7 page paper before the 18th. Am about 4 pages in, but it's going very slow at the moment. Am too easily distracted.
2. Animal training class on Tuesday went well and I am not officially certified to work with mice. Not rats though, and that's what I need to do experiments on. Some difficulty with different protocols which I'm sure can be sorted out. Am stoked to begin experiments -- working on a draft of the experimental procedure, which is pretty new stuff for me as I've only done computational work before.
3. Drinks for a friend's birthday tonight at Madeline's. Should be awesome!
1. We took Al, the Best Cat Ever™, in to have his teefs cleaned. I've owned cats all my life and never once had to have their teeth cleaned. I am assured that this is now SOP, but I still feel like I'm being ripped off and that I'll get a call in a couple of hours where they'll demand more money or they'll start sending me kitteh teefs.
2. My mother sure does eat a lot of breakfast for a woman who'll spend her day watching TV on the couch. Two eggs scrambled with ham and cheese, a sliced tomato, half a grapefruit, buttered toast and black coffee. I think she was a lumberjack in a previous life. It's good to see her appetite back, though.
3. Our friends Lacinda and Emily came over last weekend and Lacinda set up our WiFi! I have Xbox Live now! Woooo! My gamertag is BitterOldPunk. Friend me, bitches.
JanetLand: you're moving down to Florida? Gonna bowl you a perfect game? /obscure Butthole Surfers reference
1. Unsure if Cat's slightly weirder than normal behavior is early sign of impending blockage or psychic recognition of the fact that I'm traveling this weekend, so have panicked and am having him boarded again rather than letting him stay at home, so that they can observe him and give him meds if something goes awry.
2. Assuming I can stop worrying about him for a little while this weekend, I'm really looking forward to my mother's goddaughter's wedding on Saturday. We're driving partway to Massachusetts today and will see cousins and meet up with my sister in Boston. My birthday present from my parents this year was a bit of shopping, so I have a fantastic dress to wear to the wedding itself (a very funky sort of peridot green knee-length sheath, to be worn under a fitted little black jacket with lots of jet jewelry) and it'll be nice to lay aside the boring for a few days.
JanetLand, I know I live a little far away from you, but if you find yourself in the Boston environs any time soon, I have lots of extra tomato plants. Just the other day I realized I planted a ridiculous number of seeds considering that I have only a 12X12 garden. Even if I grew only tomatoes, they won't all fit. Plus, they're tasty heirloom varieties...so if you are in the nieghborhood, let me know!
richat, I liked that guy - if you liked him I am sure you will like one of our local peeps Jon Nolan. He used to be with the band Say Zuzu that toured a lot on the Americana scene a few years back. The vocalstyle is eerily similar!
Oh? Three points? Sure!
1. Enjoying wearing a great new 50s-ish shirtdress purchased from my fashion secret, my surprisingly high-quality and styley couturier, the Lands End shop at Sears (I know!).
2. Started taking Zumba classes at the YWCA. It's actually wicked fun.
3. Hoping it warms up again soon.It's been a beautiful spring but the chill is back on these last few days.
Planning vacation for the first week of June, no ideas where to go, since apparently a visit to the Gulf coast is out. Any ideas?
FWIW, I'm headed to Florabama this weekend (flying into Panama City, staying at Cape San Blas) and to the best of my knowledge, enviro-disaster hasn't come close to affecting that area yet. On the one hand, that's great news, on the other, I was kind of mentally prepared (and a little excited, in a selfish way) to clean off some Pelicans.
1. TWO wedding invitations in the mail this week. SO VERY EXCITED.
2. We got a new cat. She's not integrating well with the existing cats. There's a lifetime return no questions asked guarantee at the no-kill shelter where we got her. So I know she'd be okay, but I'm starting to like her. Plus sending her back means one less spot at the shelter for a new cat. The angst is killing me.
3. I've been eating like a ravenous bugblatter beast all week.
4. I would like to throw a party.
5. Work is so very busy, but I love it.
1. The past two days at work I've been given all sorts of information about ~*important shit*~ and people have asked my opinion (AND ACTUALLY CARED ABOUT IT) and I worry that people might start to think that I'm halfway competent and it's kinda frightening. I've also gotten lots of happy-making comments about things, so maybe I'm actually doing halfway decently? Maybe? 2. I am wicked pissed that the prof for my Organization of Knowledge (read: cataloging) class has decided to completely dick up all the due dates and reading assignments and other gradable assignments because a few people bitched that she posted things and said people needed to comment on them before the official start of class date. (It was the Sunday before the Monday started on a completely web-centric class.) I'd already gotten into a good groove and have all my reminders and calendar notes set up and now I have to change everything and am a week ahead now. 3. Not pleased that I was having foot issues last night during dance class. I know that I walk and run funny (having been told this IDK how many times during my life) but I thought I'd gotten better. Obviously not, judging by the weirdness when I was on my toes. 4. Lots of worrying over dealing with my folks. I keep thinking I'm getting better and then I just backslide into badness. Fucking irritating. I'm tempted to try and see if my brother is willing to do a cookout for my father's birthday and I'll bake a lemon meringue pie. It's his favorite pie (and mine too) so if he doesn't eat it (which is likely because he refuses to eat anything that I've made)--I'll know that it's because of me and not my food and then I'll be able to eat my feelings with delicious homemade pie. 5. I need to get the headlights fixed on my car ASAP. Driving home from class last night was fucking treacherous. 6. I've had dreams the past few nights in a row. I do not approve. 7. I keep feeling like I'm coming down with something and I had a fever blister pop out yesterday but it never really seems to come on completely, just enough to piss me off. 8. Need to suck it up and deal with everything and quit whining. Whining doesn't help anything.
1. In desperate need of a haircut. Ends are crying out. Need to lose 1.5-2", at least. Must get done this weekend!
2. Signed up to do to the fellowship table on Sunday. Must figure out what to make. Will want to do some things in my NEW FOOD PROCESSOR yaaaaay. Homemade hummus, for starters.
3. I hate recruiters. Hate them. Haaaaaaaaate them. My word, what a useless, terrible lot they are.
- It's ascension day so I have the day off. I did a lot errands I had been putting off. Procrastination always makes me doubt that I have free will. The pay off of getting stuff done is so clear and still I procrastinate.
- I'm having these intense dreams of non existing landscapes. One was where I was flying to the summit of a La Tour/Cités Obscures / Metropolis like world. An evil force was in control and I had to dodge malignant bats. Also in a later stage I passed by a 19th century fortress that bordered on a 19th century gothic cemetery. I remembered this from a previous dream. Strange to think that dreams have a parallel continuity that I'm generally not aware of.
I really liked how Harry Mulisch used this notion of an architectural dreamscape in The Discovery of Heaven. (the book, not the movie)
1. Am dating same guy again, after the great drama filled breakup two weeks ago which led promptly to the great get back together sushi dinner last week. This is good. I think this might actually be really good but time will tell. I have been wrong, gods know, before.
2. One of my best friends is back from Iowa where she had been for a month or so following her dad's death. It's been awesome having her back even though - or, hey, because! - we do drink too much beer when we get together.
3. Need to keep on the job search even though I don't really want a job. After 20 or so years of 9 - 5 nonprofits, I'm kind of done. In the meantime, I have a bunch of little things lined up, some of which are really cool and promising.
4. Closing on my brother's house next to my aunt's was yesterday, hurrah! Having him that close is a huge, huge weight off all our minds.
1. I have a wonderful, fantastic date tonight with the couch tonight. I have been looking forward to this date for weeks now. I am going to lie on the couch all night with some Smartfood and diet coke, knit and watch "Schindler's List". That is absolutely the best couch in the world.
2. As posted earlier, concert went very well last week. I'm relaxing (see #1) for the first time in a while. Everyone wants to know when we're doing another concert (aaagh!).
1. Looking forward to Saturday, our Bike to Work Week kickoff, which is an event pretty much all on me. I've got literature, but hardly anybody has pre-registered. On the other hand I've certainly gotten more press and a city proclamation to stand on.
2. Secondary is that my crush is going to be there. I'm really hoping this can be like a practice date after which we can have a nice relaxed coffee or something like that. If my history is any guide, she shows up with her out-of-town boyfriend and wants him to meet me. Seriously, though, I don't want to have an extended friendship, I want to get right to the straightforward dating. Ask culture vs. guess culture, etc.
3. Sleeping pill helped me get a whole night in, which always helps this weird shoulder thing I've got. If it doesn't improve more soon I should see a doctor. Bursitis? Tendinitis? Torn muscle? Dunno. Mostly not even noticeable, even during yard work, but about once a day I pull some maneuver and it hurts like hell.
1. I leave for Mexico city tomorrow morning! I feel unprepared and like I will forget a lot of important things.
2. I can't believe I only have 3 days of this job left after today. The hiring process took so long and now is moving so quickly. I am spending my remaining days making protocol sheets and spreadsheets for my coworkers to use after I leave. It is boring.
3. My bunnysitter flaked and I will probably have to ask my sister to come by and feed him which sucks because she won't be living with him and keeping him company and because I feel guilty since she doesn't have that much time left in NY.
If anyone wants to live in my studio and take care of my bunny Fri-Tues, let me know (rmless at gmail)
1. Just discovered that my half-aunt (dad's half-sister) and her children (my half-cousins, who are all at least twenty years older than I am) are on Facebook. I hardly know them and have probably met them all at most twice in 31 years, yet feel sort-of obliged to acknowledge them in some way. I found out because my aunt, who is quite right-wing, posted something on my dad's status. He is very left-wing and they have never agreed about politics. His status, was, of course, related to politics (see 3).
2. Work is like pulling teeth today. grar.
3. Really curious to see how this new UK government works out given that the two coalition parties have little in common and were at each others' throats during the campaign. I give it a year.
1. My grandparents sleep a lot. More than my cats.
2. I'd drive somewhere to do something, but there's nowhere to drive to except strip malls and nothing to do except shop and eat.
3. Thank god they have internet access.
I got a hair cut that is so radical for me, when I came home this afternoon, my dog didn't recognize me. I also bought a dress that goes with a pair of fuck-me heels and my new 'do. A wax job and mani-pedi should set me nearly right as rain.
Oooh. msali, are you gonna showcase that 'do tomorrow night?
I just got a mosquito bite. Dreading the inevitable onslaught.
Ordered pizza for dinner.
Bought several books at goodwill and the used book store. I hadn't been reading much for the last few years, which is rather (extremely) odd for me. So I'm glad I'm getting back into it.
1. I'm sleeping way too much. 16-18 hours a day. Yay depression.
2. Sent of another email to Auntie w/cancer. Made a last plea to be able to visit her. Told her Mum and I had decided to have a road trip anyway, so it'd be silly not to see her. Won't bug her anymore about it if she says no again.
3. I've been avoiding a haircut for weeks months and don't know why. Must get one soon or I'll be breaking out the mister's electric shaver.
4. Reading "awry" reminded me that I used to think it was pronounced aw-ree. Doh!
5. Confidential to dhartung - your shoulder problem may be Frozen Shoulder. Diabetics are prone to it. It can take years heal. I had it in both shoulders, one was just about healed when the other shoulder got it, overall it lasted about three years for me. I still don't have full flexibility back.
I am currently in the middle of giving a reference recommendation. He called me at the top of the hour. We spoke for 6 minutes. He put me on hold. I AM STILL ON HOLD and it has been 50 minutes. If I didn't want my former employee to get a job, I would have hung up.