My iPhone has been operating well since I got it. I know all about overheating phones though and my overheated Sony Ericsson is a reason why I "had" to get an iPhone.
I was in La Fortuna, Costa Rica on my last day of vacation and noticed my phone was very warm in my pocket. I looked at it and it was off. I took the battery to try and reset it and the battery was hot to the touch as in 130-140f. When I got home, I tried replacing the battery but it is totally dead. Which sucks since 1) it had about 50 pictures on it from my trip [it has a 3.2mp camera] and 2) it has 3G for my trips to Europe and 3) it can do stuff the iphone can't and is a handy backup.
Sony is going to fix the phone for me since it still has 1 month left on the warranty. But the photos are probably all gone.
MSNBC doesn't seem to want to do stories on other mobile phones that break.